Back to school season means it’s time to move the family toward a more regimented schedule. Replace the relative free-for-all bedtimes with a more structured schedule and routine to optimize sleep time and boost school and work performance, energy, and happiness.
- Reduce technology use for 30-60 minutes before bed time, including phones, tablets, game systems, and TVs
- Limit caffeinated drinks and sugary snacks in the evenings, and avoid heavy dinners to prevent sleep interruptions
- In the weeks leading up to the start of school, implement earlier wake up times in increments of 15 minutes
- Set bedtimes to align with your children’s age group — the younger they are, the more sleep they tend need!
INCREASE IN ACTIVITIES
- Good sleep leads to good grades and athletic performance; it’s also essential for physical and cognitive recovery
- Practices can start early, extracurriculars can run late — make sure sleep doesn’t get lost in the shuffle
- Make time to relax and unwind, both as an individual and with the family as a whole
- Scheduling is key — everyone will accomplish more if they’re happy, healthy and well rested